After you have read Al Capone Does My Shirts, answer the following discussion questions:
1. During his first night on Alcatraz Island, how does Moose Flanagan sleep?
2. What do you think causes Moose's hives? Why do they get worse? What makes them get better?
3. What kind of relationship does Moose have with his father? With his mother? Will this change when Natalie goes to school?
4. What would it be like to live on Alcatraz? Would you like to live there?
5. How did Natalie really get accepted into the Esther P. Marinoff school? Do you think Al Capone had anything to do with it?
6. From beginning to the end of the novel, which characters seem to show signs of changing? How do they change? Do you think these changes will last?