After you have read The Lightning Thief, answer the following discussion questions:
1. What does Percy discover about the Greek gods at Camp Half Blood? What do they have to do with the camp?
2. What does Percy's fight with Echidna reveal about his character? What new things does he discover about himself?
3. When describing the effects of the Mist, Chiron says, "Remarkable, really, the lengths humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." How is this true in the novel?
4. How does the last line of the prophecy - you shall fail to save what matters most in the end - come true? What do you think of this ending? Did Percy make the right choice?
If you would like to read the rest of the series, try:
2. The Sea of Monsters
3. The Titan's Curse
4. The Battle of the Labyrinth
5. The Last Olympian