After reading The Giver, answer the following discussion questions:
1. Jonas is chosen as the next Receiver of Memory. Is this an honor or a punishment?
2. If ignorance of the past is a benefit to the citizens of the community, why do you think that the Receiver of Memory exists?
3. The Chief Elder lists five characteristics that a Receiver must have: intelligence, integrity, courage, wisdom and the Capacity to See Beyond. Was Jonas a good choice for this position?
4. Do you agree with Jonas’s decision to leave the community? Why or why not?
5. How realistic is this society? Could it exist?
If you liked The Giver, try the other books in this series: