Thursday, September 3, 2009
Rules Discussion Questions
After you have read Rules, answer the following discussion questions:
1. Are rules necessary in some situations? What good purposes to they serve? When can rules be a negative thing?
2. Do you think it’s true that “Leaving out isn’t the same as lying?” If not, is it ever true?
3. Some of Catherine’s rules are what we might call “unwritten rules”. They are comments on how people behave, such as “Sometimes people don’t answer because they didn’t hear you. Other times it’s because they don’t want to hear you.” How do people learn these rules? Why do we have them?
4. If Catherine were to write a rule at the very end of the book, what do you think it would be?
5. Is Catherine a good friend? Why or why not?