After you have read Smile by Raina Telgemeier, answer the following discussion questions:
1. Smile is shelved in our junior graphic novel area, which means that it uses pictures to help tell the story. Would this book have been better or worse without the pictures?
2. Do you think that this story takes place in 2013? What are some clues that tells you when Smile takes place? (For example, no cell phones.)
3. How do you feel about Raina's friends? What would you do if your friends treated you this way?
4. Raina is disappointed with how her teeth look when her braces are removed. Why does she think she looks weird? How do her new friends react? What would her old friends have said?
5. Why do you think that Raina Telgemeier called this book Smile?
If you liked Smile, check out Drama, also by Raina Telgemeier.