After reading Hatchet, answer the following discussion questions:
1. As the story opens, where is Brian going? Why?
2. What lesson does Brian recall from Mr. Perpich? How does this lesson help Brian when he is stranded in the wilderness?
3. How might the story have been different if Brian had dropped the hatchet in the process of swimming to shore right after the plane crashed into the lake?
4. What do you think might have happened if Brian hadn't been rescued when he was?
5. Do you think that Hatchet might have been different if the main character was adult or female?
6. What one item would you want if you were in Brian's situation?
If you would like to read the rest of the series, try:
2. The River
3. Brian's Winter
4. Brian's Return
5. Brian's Hunt